Smartphoneaholic

When I was in high school, I didn't have a cell phone.  Actually, I'm not even sure if it was invented yet.  If it was, then probably only the movers and shakers of the world had them.

What I did have was a "landline."  Cord and all.

I remember talking on the phone under dining table.  Then walking around the sofa and plopping down by the open front door.  The was the maximum radius of my phone's cord.

I wasn't popular, so I wasn't on the phone like those teenagers you see on television.  You know what I mean.  The "older sister" who spent hours on the phone, in the closet, talking to her BFFs or boyfriend.  I was far too busy to be on the phone.

Volleyball, my medical classes, and real life friends occupied my time.

Even the computer barely took my precious time.  The computer was reserved for using the "Dictionary" and typing up essays for my classes.  I had AOL like everyone else, but I can't even really remember what I used it for.  Although I must admit that I like hearing that, "YOU'VE GOT MAIL!" notification!

And of course, to use the internet, one cannot be on the phone - and vice versa.

Come college, I finally bought a cell phone.  It was probably when everybody started having one too.  You just weren't a real college kid without one.  It was necessary.  I don't exactly know why, but it felt like it was.

And I had my own laptop too.  That was even cooler.  Sure, it was huge and heavy, but hey, I didn't have to wait in line at the computer lab just so I could check my email or write a report.  And yes, I used my credit card for that $1,500 worth of necessary accessory.  I needed it.  Really, I did.

I was a cow.  I was part of the herd.  I moved when they moved.  I upgraded when they upgraded.

And here I am.  Still a cow.  But a smaller, smarter cow.  I don't jump on the wagon right away.  I research, I wait, I compare.....then I jump on the wagon.

But this video got me thinking, "What happened to me?"



I am no longer in high school, nor am I in college.  I am a wife and a mother.

A cell phone and computer combined into one smartphone does not need my attention as much as my kids or husband do.

My smartphone does not have moments to treasure like my children have every minute of the day.

My smartphone does not need me to tell it I love it like my husband and kids do.

My smartphone will not die without me - but my husband and kids just might.

So why is my smartphone getting most of my time?

No more.

Priorities rearranged.

This momma is no longer a smartphoneaholic.

Because I am needed somewhere else by somebody.  Always.

And that, my dears, is a good thing.

Comments

  1. Good for you, Janice. I went to a conference led by Matthew Kelly (dynamiccatholic.com) who says that we spend more and more of our lives doing less and less. He says, and I agree, that we need to spend more time in 'the classroom of silence'. He recommends giving 10 minutes a day to sitting in silence in church in front of the tabernacle. Just listening to God. I started doing this, admittedly not in Church, but on my bus-ride to work. I pray for the first 15 minutes, liturgical prayer, and then I think about the psalms and readings I just read. I have the luxury of attending Mass almost every day, so I reconnect with God at lunchtime.
    I've never been a smartphone (or "smart"anything) advocate, because while they may help us do some things (I blog as a journal for myself, really) I don't want to depend on any machine. If I can't keep a phone number in my head, it's either not that important, or I have it in an address book at home. I do have a Blackberry issued by work. My wife has an iphone, but always gives it to me when she wants me to text a picture to someone.
    I think you have your priorities right. God bless you. We're driving to LV this weekend. Should be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have good, clean, fun in LV!
    Alas, I don't pray enough. That is one thing that needs to change around here. Especially if I want my children to become closer to God. Pray that laziness escapes me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and that's why I camp every summer. Smartphones have yet to outsmart trees - LOL
    Other than that, I mostly use my phone just to take pictures of my life. I cannot keep up with my Twitter feed and normally don't engage in lengthy or multiple convos on the Twit. I do like Instagram because it is wonderful to see everyone's life in pictures. Some are truly amazing.
    I didn't bring my laptop to the FanExpo and the convention centre had no free WiFi so I couldn't even use my iPhone there. That didn't stop others walking around in the crowd with their phones in their faces. seriously? there are literally thousands of people walking around this building and you are trying to walk and text? I can't chew gum and walk.
    It's all back to the balance thing right? I don't give out my cell # to very many people - that way I am not going to be texting all day. And I don't play games. So there's not much to tempt me.
    Now blogging?
    that's another story. You are too darn wonderful to stay away from for very long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I didn't think anyone would notice my absence. Thanks for missing me.

    And second, seriously? People were on their phones still? How sad is that. I'm glad you've got the right attitude when it comes to smartphones. Someday, when we meet and we're at a cafe or something, I won't worry about talking to myself while you're on ur phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we did. It was all about family. We drove from the Bay Area in the new vehicle. Very nice, very comfortable. Her sister came in from LA, so we had our fourth reunion of the summer. Ate at an Asian buffet Friday afternoon, they all played mahjongg while I napped and watched tennis. Saturday they played mahjongg again for several hours and I...watched tennis. After church we ate Church's chicken. Sunday we went to the Palms, and I didn't lose money. Then we went home and...watched tennis. Her sister left on Sunday, and we cooked spaghetti and ate it. Left very early Monday in time to get home by 2:00 and...watch tennis.

    I think I would, were I you, and wanted to teach my children...when they wake up, ask them to thank God for keeping them safe through the night. Say a short prayer when you're all in the car ready to go somewhere, asking for a safe trip. Before homeschool, ask God to help them learn the lessons they're trying to learn. Of course, grace before meals. Even doing one of these will start the ball rolling. I heard a speaker doing a talk about becoming the best version of yourself. It was in relation to New Year resolutions, but he said to do things incrementally. If it's exercise, and you never exercise, do one day a week for a year. Then increase it. If it's reading Scripture, read 15 minutes a day, just the gospels over and over for a year.
    We all have laziness in some area. See my blog about journaling. I know you're not lazy. You run mud runs...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of tennis. I didn't even know it was hoping on already. Lol. I've been out of the loop since...well...since I've had kids!

    And, yes, I need to really push myself to start journaling again. I have some bible plans I signed up for on the Bible App....I've been reading, but not writing. I need to write so I can fully reflect on the readings. You know what I mean? I'm unusual that way, I guess. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. It's a good feeling to know my absence was noticed. Although if Jesus had a say in it (or Mother Teresa too) he would probably reprimand me for wanting attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This afternoon is the men's final. Yes, it's a lot of tennis, but it's a two week tourney that we can follow. I don't know why the men's final is Monday afternoon, for the life of me, cannot figure it out...

    I know, kids can take away some of the guilty pleasures we get out of watching professionals bang balls around...

    My journal is my blogs...you're not unusual. At least you know you have to reflect, and you have a process. That speaker also admitted that he doesn't always follow his own advice consistently. So it runs in the (human) family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So...did the person you were rooting for win? ;)
    Afterthought: I do need to follow my own advice more often too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, he did. We like Rafael Nadal because he seems to be not very caught up in himself. He works his butt off on and off the court, has a good support group with his family, and he's a gentleman. My favorite in the Women's, Maria Sharapova, didn't play, and for the most part we like her for the same reason.

    Good luck, Janice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment