Through The Lens Thursday #9: Hands

Each line is a story
A hardship overcome
The loss of her parents
Adoption to cruelty
Servant more than a child


Wiping instead of writing
Cooking instead of counting
Peeling instead of playing


Child without a childhood


Marriage is salvation
Kids, the light of her heart
Everything, sacrifice
Service born out of love
Daily struggles of life


Sweeping instead of shopping
Raising (kids) instead of relaxing
Cleaning instead of sleeping


Forever Cinderella


Because she persevered
Happiness she has found
In seeing her children
Have children of their own
Sixteen grandchildren all


Caring for grandkids, she smiles
Playing with great-grandkids, laughs
Angels on earth, by her side


Her hands gave us all our lives.




[caption id="attachment_7081" align="aligncenter" width="600"]lola's hands 1/64, f/4.5, ISO 200, Flash[/caption]

These are my grandmother's hands.  Her life story is more complicated than this, but I thought her hands were the perfect symbols for her story.

As some of you might know, she recently survived a stroke.  And she's currently receiving rehabilitation treatment to regain the strength and dexterity her hands used to have.  So taking a picture of her hands was sort of emotional for me.

Anywho, besides the copyright, this shot is unedited.  I decided to keep it as is because I thought it looked more dramatic - and I was going for the feeling of old age and life.  Did I capture it?

I'd love to hear in the comments, what you thought of it!  Thanks!

through the lens button

Comments

  1. Oh you...... tears. streaming.
    This reminds me so so much of my late grandma. her hands and her smile. that's how I remember her. her hands always working, her smile always ready for those she loved.
    You will treasure this always my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching and poignant, Janice.
    The hands that have done so much, loved so much.
    Stunning. Thank you for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching image and such lovely words, Janice. I think the picture of her hands captures this perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kim. It's what I think of lately whenever I see her hands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Alison. It was nice how your prompt was like perfect timing for this time. I'll never look at (anybody's) hands the same way again - who knows what they've been through?

    ReplyDelete
  6. (pat on the back)
    I'm glad this made you remember someone special - even though I made you cry...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment