Unless you've been homeschooled, is a homeschooler, or have friends who homeschool, there's just no way you can imagine what homeschooling looks like.
Personally, I'm a product of the public school system - both in the Philippines and in America. I loved every bit of time I was in it. But if you were to ask me, back then, what a homeschool "classroom" is like, my first answer would be, "Homeschool? What's that?"
And really, now that I've been doing this for 5 years - after being a "regular teacher" in a "regular classroom" - I can tell you that a homeschool looks just like any other classroom, except with fewer students, in varying grade levels, and with the teacher catering to the specific needs of each student (and quite possibly with a toddler running around the place).
Today, I give you a glimpse into our "Formal-Dining-Room-Turned-Into-A-Schoolroom." Tell me what you think of it and how it compares to your notion of a "regular classroom!"
Personally, I'm a product of the public school system - both in the Philippines and in America. I loved every bit of time I was in it. But if you were to ask me, back then, what a homeschool "classroom" is like, my first answer would be, "Homeschool? What's that?"
And really, now that I've been doing this for 5 years - after being a "regular teacher" in a "regular classroom" - I can tell you that a homeschool looks just like any other classroom, except with fewer students, in varying grade levels, and with the teacher catering to the specific needs of each student (and quite possibly with a toddler running around the place).
Today, I give you a glimpse into our "Formal-Dining-Room-Turned-Into-A-Schoolroom." Tell me what you think of it and how it compares to your notion of a "regular classroom!"









a lot of my mom friends here are homeschooling moms and I give them RESPECT!
ReplyDeletebecause, besides yes - losing a room in their house often, just the everyday commitment to educate their children. In addition to - of course all the other things they teach as a mom.
I could not do it. I definitely don't have the patience; let alone the "know how."
But it must feel great to know that you are the One shaping your child's future like this. Bravo!
Thank you. But trust me when I say that even I have days when I have to convince myself that what I'm doing is what's best for my kids. ;)
ReplyDeleteI can't compare yet since I still have a toddler and I'm very seriously considering homeschooling myself with the K12 program. I have to see when we get to Hawaii...but I have heard nothing but bad things about the school system there......
ReplyDeleteI've looked into the K12 program and it seemed pretty good - especially since they have great support for students and parents. But since you only have a toddler, you might not need such a program as this yet. As for Hawaii....my cousin went there when he was in elementary school until he graduated - with honors - and now has a high paying job. But that was yeaaaaars ago. I'm not sure what it's like there now. Good luck to you though. When are you guys moving anyway?
ReplyDeleteNot till Dec/Jan. so I have a lot of time. I also don't have to worry too much about pre-school cause I didn't to pay over $600 a month for a few hours a week with stuff I could teach him.
ReplyDelete