It Was Fun

I was looking forward to going to the park to watch the fireworks just like last year.

However, as my husband promptly reminded me, I didn't really like the parking situation, drunk/obnoxious people, hike back to the car, and long traffic lines after the show.

So we decided to spend the day at my parents' house instead.

And you know what?  It was fun.

In the morning, my husband and dad worked on the car while the two little kids played with my mom.  As for my eldest and me, we did a little schoolwork.

After lunch, we took a nap! Yay!  Any day with a nap is a good day!

After naptime, the fun began.



The kids got to swim in the inflatable pool, play in the backyard (which was nicely shaded by that time) while the grown-ups barbequed, and then we ate dinner outdoors!  We hadn't done that in ages!

Then in the evening, we watched the (Macy's) fireworks show on TV.  And the kids didn't complain.

It was so awesome being able to just walk up to bed after the fireworks show - especially when the littlest one was so sleepy by then.

Maybe we'll do the same thing next year.   Except it'll be better because we'll be better prepared for more backyard activities - and maybe invite a few friends over too!

So how was your 4th of July?

Comments

  1. We used to have a tradition of watching the Boston Pops 4th special, it was 3 hours-2 hours of Boston Pops, followed by a musical choreographed fireworks show. But they took it off and now it's all but gone. It was fun cuz just about the time that was ending, our local show was starting, and we'd sit in the guest bedroom and watch it out the window. Now, much more quiet. We watch PBS's Captol Fourth, tape Macy's Fireworks, and go to sleep...This year, because I had a kidney procedure coming up on Wednesday, we used the three-day weekend to clean up the yard, and dump a bunch of junk, because we knew I wouldn't be up to it the next weekend. But we did slow cook some ribs and corn on the BBQ. We did a patriotic event with a crowd about a month ago. We went to a drum and bugle corps competition. No fireworks, but plenty of good music. One corps was from Diamond Bar, one from Sac, two from the Bay Area, one from San Antonio and one from Denver. Good time, and I got to use my new GoPro to film it all...yeah, I got one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are definitely changing all over the place. I miss the good ol' days - yep, even I had one of those days. Haha! And my husband wants a GoPro. I haven't said yes yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend GoPro. I have lots of things to use it for. Scuba is the main one, but I found out that the most expensive of the GoPro has a low-light capability, and they used it to film portions of "The Son of God". So it's cinema quality, and the price isn't bad. I planned to use it in the cathedrals of Spain, but that's next year. But it worked in a stadium at night with stadium lights only. And the editing is so easy. So when you can, get it for him, but you have to practice, cuz it's hard to keep steady. In fact, I bought a cheap steadycam gadget right after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I've been considering it for our anniversary present. (Shhhh.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted it for Christmas, but got it for Easter. My wife felt sorry for me cuz I'd been up working for 36 hours, so on Easter Saturday we went to Costco, cuz we 'needed' to, and she decided to stop at Best Buy. that was our anniversary of our official wedding (in the church).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment