After 5 Years of Homeschooling, First Day of School Ever!

If you've missed my FB post, you've missed a pretty earth-shattering update from our corner of the world...

We did it.  After 5 years of homeschooling, we enrolled our girls in (public) school. {Cue music - Dan-dan-daaaaaannnnnnn!!!}

School started last Wednesday.  Today's Friday.  I'm SO exhausted!

First, you're probably wondering why they're not in Catholic School.  Simple.  The closest Catholic School is a 45-minute drive - without traffic!  Considering I'm pregnant, due in November, AND the toddler just got potty-trained (Squee!!!), that's too long a trip to make twice a day.

Second, what about this Common Core that I've mentioned dislike of?  Well with that, we'll just wait and see.  I can always take them out and homeschool them again, right?

And third, WHY THE SWITCH from homeschool to traditional school?

Before I answer that, a little bit of cuteness...ta-da! The girls on their first day ever!



So anyway, we decided that now would be as good time as any to have the girls go to traditional school.

I'm overdue for a little break - especially with a 4th baby coming soon.  And our oldest, my Sweetie, is in much need of some "SOCIAL SCHOOLING."  As book smart as she is, I'm afraid she's lacking in the "street smarts" department.

We wanted her to learn how to work with different types of people and handle different situations.  We've noticed that she's not much of a real-world problem solver and would only do enough to move on.

Yes, I could've looked for and maybe joined some sort of homeschool group or club in order to socialize my kids.  But that is harder than it sounds around here.  There aren't any groups in my city.  And joining another city would take up too much time than it's worth.

So...off to 5th grade public school she went.  It's still in a relatively safe, muted, controlled elementary environment.  Plus, she's already got friends who go there.  So not a bad time to start, right?

As for my Honey, the Kindergartener, we know she loves having friends.  She is a sociable person and easily makes new friends.  We weren't concerned at all for her social development.  It's her advanced level we're concerned about.

My Honey already reads at 3rd grade level and knows her basic math.  But, she isn't mature enough to NOT be in Kindergarten.  No worries though.  I've already contacted her teacher and there's a plan in place to meet her needs!

I feel so lucky to have such a professional Kindergarten teacher for my Honey - who is willing to listen to this {know-it-all} momma about her child's educational needs!  But after all, I'm just being an advocate for my kid, right?

So there you have it.  No more homeschooling.  At least for this year.  Will that mean more blogging time?  Not sure about that.  The toddler is still at home, and soon, a newborn will demand my every minute too.

Stay tuned for more posts about my new adventures in sending the kids off to school!

How was your back to school experience this week?  Or in the past?  Or when do you guys start?

Comments

  1. Janice, wishing you and the girls lots of luck! I hope, it all goes well for them and hopefully, you can enjoy your "break" and time with the new baby while the girls are at school. I had our youngest when middle was in Kindergarten and the boy was in 3rd... and having them in school did help in regards to the baby. I worked it out that by the time they got home from school the baby was napping and they had my undivided attention for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to your girls. I teach in public school and all of my children received their education in public school. Being closely connected to your children's school and teachers is key, in my opinion, but I'm sure you will do that. I could never have homeschooled so I admire your commitment to the task. I saw this post on The SITS Sharefest. Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure this was a tough decision for you! It sounds like the girls will do just fine. And yes, you will still be Busy! LOL
    People often asked me why I didn't home school when I was at home anway -- what can I say? we all make the decisions we think best for us at the time, and I have no regrets. Besides, I don't think teaching about the canon of the Marvel Comic Universe versus the Marvel Cinematic Universe is on any approved education curriculum. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh. You know, I think I like your curriculum better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I believe you are right. But I just wonder if being in touch with the teacher in public school will be harder than if it was in private school. I taught in a private school, and this is my first experience with public. I hope they won't think I'm a nosy, annoying parent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already started thinking about the baby and school. I have no idea how that's gonna work out. My kids don't take the bus. I have to drop them off and pick them up, everyday. Also, the kindergarten is only half-day. So I actually have to drop-off both in the morning, drive home, drive back 3 hours later to pick up the kinder, drive home, then drive back 2 hours later to pick up the 5th grader! It's not exactly fun. And I'm not sure how that's going to impact the baby once he's here. There's gonna be a lot of adjustments, I can tell you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think it will be any different in public school. Teachers in any situation appreciate parents' help and encourage communication. The only time I get bothered is if it's a parent who is hovering, not letting the child experience growth and failure, and making excusing for the child. I know that is really hard as a parent -- at least it was for me -- because I didn't want my children to be hurt or fail. I teach seniors in high school so I don't have much parent communication, but I know that elementary teachers expect you to ask questions and voice concerns. Sorry for rambling. Hope everything goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the advice! I will try my best not seem like I'm hovering! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janice, regarding Common Core, I think, with you as the mentor/mama/teacher, you, if anyone, can make Common Core work, and still get them an education. As for Catholic School, very understandable! I can imagine you trying to get four kids through Catholic school! Again, with you as a teacher, they will be able to maintain their faith. I guess, what I'm getting at, is that parents who take responsibility for helping with children's education will help their children suffer through any system. Every system has problems, and only a parent in the know can help navigate those problems. When a parent leaves it to the state to educate, that's where the problems creep in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you! That's why, ultimately, we thought it was okay to enroll them. We consider ourselves to be active parents - both in our kids' spiritual and educational life - therefore, we know we can always handle things as they come (and even be one step ahead at times!). I do not believe in leaving our kids to the hands of the state. The state has enough problems of its own. Plus, we are the "primary teachers" of our children, right? Just because they are enrolled in an institution (aka school), doesn't mean we relinquish our power to guide and mold our children!

      Delete

Post a Comment